Our other baby


We've made our announcement about the baby in my belly, but we also acquired another baby last week, and I wanted to make sure to mention him!

Flynn Ryder came into our family last Saturday. Thomas and I have been talking for a while about getting a kitten as a Christmas present for each other. When we found out I was pregnant, we started talking again, knowing that a kitten would be a good distraction for me if/when I started stressing out. (Not that I ever do that!)

Thomas started looking at adoption sites online on a Monday, and by Wednesday he had found a little of kittens of tuxedo short-hair  and Siamese decent. He was particularly drawn to a little guy named Baccarat  and started emailing back and forth. by Thursday evening the adoption contract was accepted, and Saturday we drove an hour north to get our little boy!

As is typical with us, we got there 15 minutes early, and Flynn's litter was the last to show up, about an hour late! As soon as we saw him though, Thomas had a connection, and we knew this was our little guy. I had my reservations (And had fallen in love with a sweet, older tabby that was there) but as soon as we got home, Flynn showed us he knew it was his home. We tried to keep him in one room, so as not to overwhelm the poor kid, but he jumped over our barriers, and started exploring the apartment!

He was moving and jumping so fast, I could only get blurry pictures of him, so we really don't have very many. The first few hours he was pretty wary of us, but played with the toys we had bought for him. His favourite soon became apparent - a 'wand' with feathers and a bell at the end. When we went to bed that night, he pulled out another cat wand we had left from when Johnny was living with us. He has LOVED that thing to shreds. Literally. On Saturday it had quite a few strings and even one feather still attached from when Johnny used to play with it. Today, it has 1 chewed-off string, and he managed to break the stick in half. That hasn't stopped him from dragging it all over the place though, and plopping it in our laps when he wants to play.

Flynn really is such a sweetheart. Our very first morning together, I woke up to find him snuggled up between Thomas and myself in bed, fast asleep. Since then he's usually slept on my side, or under the bed, but as soon as we wake up in the morning he's there, ready for some action!

His mew is the cutest thing in the world! we didn't hear it the first few days, but now he's quite the conversationalist. Especially if you're in the bathroom ("Mom, let me innnnnn!") or in the kitchen. ("That's my food right? MY food, not yours. My food. Mine,")

He thinks all food in the house is his. He's tried to steal ice cream, soup, cereal, oatmeal, veggie dip, veggies, jello, and pudding, just to name a few of the things he's succeeded in getting a few licks of. He can be very sneaky.

Anyway, that's our current baby. He's quite the blessing to us right now. He's great at keeping my company when Thomas is off to an evening shift, and great at getting Thomas to play with him at all hours. Even when I'm trying to get some sleep.

(Shooing him away from the ultrasound pix)

Comments

Popular Posts