First Trimester

So I'm now officially in my 2nd trimester, yay! The first trimester was not fun (to say the least) and I'm very happy to be out of it.

I started the first trimester with horrid morning sickness around my 5th week. Thankfully I only 'got sick' 2 or 3 times during the 3 months, but there was still awful nausea, dizziness  and feeling exhausted the whole time. I tried to be good with snacking, and eating a lot of healthy carbs, as that's supposed to ease the nausea, but I'm still working full-time, and it was really difficult to be able to snack as much as I probably needed.

Now before anyone goes on a tyrade about my rights as a woman, and how horrible my boss must have been, blah, blah, blah, let me clear things up. I am the one responsible for the way my first trimester went. I get very focused and stressed at work. I like to get the job done as quickly, efficiently and cleanly as possible. It's very difficult, when in that situation, to train yourself to STOP every two hours, just to eat, when you're not even hungry.

Hunger is something that became very different to me during my first trimester. I'd spend most of the morning feeling sick, and not wanting to eat anything other than water, and the few crackers I could force down..... then about noon I'd get horribly hungry, and eat everything in sight. Then I'd forget to snack again, and feel nauseous about 3:30ish, and very, very hungry again about 6pm. I have never felt so constantly sick, and ravenously hungry in my life. It was quite odd, but thankfully seems to have worn off, for the most part.

Let's see what else? The first trimester is exhausting. I'm sure I didn't take as many naps as I should have, but I slept as much as I could, and became very good at getting ready for the day only 10 minutes before I had to leave for work. I felt lazy at work, because I couldn't move, or think as fast as I felt I should be able too. (still can't, but that's for another post) I put off doing things with friend, because when I came home at the end of the day I. Couldn't. Move. I felt awful, since we hadn't announced it to anybody yet, but it was just too difficult to try to go out and be social when I was feeling so sick and drained. Hopefully everyone now understands, and forgives me. :)

We told our parents around week eight. I'm pretty sure my Dad was floored, Mom had her suspicions before we even said anything, and Thomas' parents were surprised to find we hadn't been planning it. We let most of the siblings know a few weeks later. Rebecca and Rachel were so surprised! We told them we had a picture of their shared birthday present, whipped out the most recent sonography picture, and let them figure out the rest for themselves. They were both sobbing and giving Thomas and myself bear hugs within seconds.

The one fun thing about the 1st trimester was looking at maternity clothes! We were able to take a weekend to visit Arin and her husband, and we went outlet shopping! Thomas and Arin found cute clothes, while I just sat there, then tried on what they brought to me. Thankfully they both know my style pretty well, and found some really nice things. I've also fallen in love with Old Navy's maternity clothes - and the fact that they have a very easy-to-navigate online store! My tummy felt weird in regular pants after week eight, so I've been living in maternity leggings at home, and bumbling around in too-big pants at work. My belly band has been helping though.

At week 12, in case you can't read the big sticker.

I'm sooo happy to be onto the next trimester, and see what it brings. My nausea is gone (hallelujah!) but it seems this next 3 months will have it's own challenges. I say bring it!
(After I get a good night's sleep)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts