2017 in review

As I was writing out goals for this year/month, I realized that I had a year survey on my blog that I hadn't done. Then when I looked at the one for 2016, and realized that I only completed about 1/4th of it. Things just don't get done when you have a new baby!

One of the goals for this year is to post on here a LOT more than I have been. Wren is finally starting to sleep better, and I'm ready to reclaim my life a little bit.

So here we have Sarah's 2017 in review!




1. What did you do in 2017 that you had never done before?
I managed to keep two kids alive and breathing! I also started decorating our house, and managed to be single mommy as Thomas went back to school.

2. Did you keep your New Years resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any last year. Wren was 2 months old, and Jan was rough for me - I got really sick with a nose infection, and then mastitis 2 weeks later. Even if I made them, I forgot about them super fast!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few facebook friends had babies, but nobody close to me had one this year.


4. Did anyone close to you die?

My Papa passed away a few weeks before Christmas. I'll be going out to CA in 2 weeks, with Wren, for the memorial service.

5. What states/countries did you visit?
I went up to PA a few times, for Arin's bridal shower and wedding. We also went to the Outer Banks in NC for a family getaway that was super fun!

6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you didn't have in 2017?
More quiet time for myself. I need time to recharge, and I didn't do well with setting aside "recharge" time last year.

7. What date from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
I don't think there's one date this year, just a lot of small memories. Wren brought a lot of joy into our lives, and I will always treasure her first year.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not having a complete nervous breakdown. Honestly, this year has been so mentally difficult, but I've somehow manged to keep it together.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Yelling. I did a lot of that.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
This has been the worst year for sickness that our family has had in a long time. I started off the year with a serious sinus infection, followed by mastitis, lots of little colds though the spring and summer, and then we all got the stomach flu in October. Then we rang in the new year with colds, which we girls are currently at the tail end of. I'm really hoping we do better next year.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new computer! (It was a birthday present from Thomas and Dad) Also my felt board, which is so fun, and Thomas finally hung it on our wall after owning the thing for 5 months.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgages. Our HVAC unit. Food. And probably too much to Amazon.


13. What did you get really, really excited about?
Honestly, nothing. I spent most of this year too tired to get excited.

14. What song will remind you of 2017?
Anything from the movie Trolls (the girls listened to it NON STOP for the first half of the year!) or Taylor Swift's album Reputation. That's been my theme music for the past few months.

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Breathing. eating healthy, drinking water. Sleeping.


16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Yelling. Apologizing.


17. How did you spend Christmas?
Thomas's brothers all came to their parent's house for Christmas, so we had a big family Christmas. Lots of people. Lots of kids. Meggy had a blast.

18. 2017 Word of the year?
(no) Sleep

19. What was your favourite TV program?
OOF, this is a hard one. This is Us, The Crown, The Middle, and Speechless are just a few of my favourites this year.



20. What was the best book you read?
My Lady Jane was a really good one, historical and funny (not at all accurate). The Chemist, and Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? were also quite good.

21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I finally started listening to stuff by Lin-Manuel Miranda this year, and it kind of changed my life. Also, two days before New Years, we saw The Greatest Showman, and it was absolutely amazing, and might have single-handedly brought back the movie musical. 

22. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26, and luckily for me, my best friend was visiting! Thomas treated us to The Melting Pot, which she had never been to, and we had a wonderful time.


23. What one thing could have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I've been very anxious. I was taking medication at the beginning of the year to help with it, but the side effects weren't great. I'm hoping to take measures to help with that this year.

24. What kept you sane?
As always, my sweet husband. Especially when he took me to the beach!


25. What political issue stirred you the most?
I need to get rid of this question. I don't like politics, and this year people have been more nasty than ever.

26. What was the best movie you saw.
The Greatest Showman. Although Coco was pretty good.

27. Who was the best new person you met?
My new friend Abbie! She and her family go to our church, and they live just down the road, which is awesome.

28. A valuable life lesson you leaned in 2017?
I really really do need to take time for myself. Because when Mama's not happy, then nobody is happy. That's fine when there's one other person, but when 3 people depend on your sanity for happiness? That makes it more of a job.


29. Areas of growth/ areas of struggle?
Growth:
-Recognizing triggers for my anxiety
-Spending quality time with people, not quantity
-Accepting my body and mental limits

Struggle:
-Temper, temper, temper
-Taking time for myself before doing things for others

30. Pet Peeves?
This question cracks me up every year. This year a HUGE pet peeve is double standards. And people who make blurry/badly cropped pictures their profile pictures.


Comments

Popular Posts