Best Friends in the best place

So there's this girl I know. She's quite the opposite from me - an extrovert, tons and tons of friends, not the most empathetic person in the world, and I love her like a sister. We've been friends since we were 6 years old, which for you following along at home means we've been friend for around 18 years.

I think we're about 15 in this picture. 
Holy I-feel-old Batman.

So being best friends, yet living at least two states apart for the past 15 years, we've had to come up with some pretty crazy ways to have fun together. Our parents appreciated the phone bills we wracked up as teenagers, as well as the many gallons of gas they used to drive us back and forth to see each other once or twice a year. When we were 18, Arin and I saved up to go to Walt Disney World (My mom made the sacrifice of being our 'chaperone' and official photographer) and we had a blast. Last year, I had the brilliant idea to do that again. So we made reservations at Port Orleans Resort, French Quarter, waved goodbye to our husbands and kids, and spent 5 days down in Florida!


On the bus, on the way to our resort. No toddlers, hooray!


The beautiful, still decorated for Christmas, lobby. It was such a warm welcome!


As soon as we got in our room, Arin started bouncing on the beds. We were both pretty excited. And tired, After taking boat to Disney springs for a meal at Wolfgang Puck's (amazing food, organic and locally sourced, I highly recommend it!) we went back to our resort and collapsed.


Magic Kingdom was on our plate first thing Tuesday morning! Somehow I hadn't realized that we were there during the marathon weekend, and the parks were more crowded than I had thought they would be. However we persevered, and managed to get some pictures of the two of us.



It was so nice of that lady in the middle to also smile for our photo.

So, when I went with my family to WDW last fall, I had been very happy with Disney's photopass service. Arin and I purchased photos for one day, and I have to confess I wasn't very pleased with the results. Unfortunately that can happen, since not all the photographers are professionals, and other people aren't always considerate about people taking pictures around them.

After we went on a few rides at MK, Arin and I hopped on the monorail and made our way over to Epcot!


Tinker Bell followed us to Epcot - she knew where the fun was!




We never saw the real Stitch, but we found him in his topiary version!


Goofing around under Spaceship Earth

Since we had plans to come back to Epcot at some point, we decided to use this time to see some characters. I was DElighted to find that we could go meet Baymax, and Arin indulged me by standing in line for 30 minutes for me to hug a vinyl robot. He's so cute!!


Next up was the Big Cheese!


When we saw Goofy, he did his "Ohh grawsh" face, and told us in so many words that he wasn't worthy to be in a picture with two such beautiful princesses.

At least. I'm assuming that's what he said. Goofy is kind of a strong, silent type.


Minnie Mouse was adorable and TEENY. We love Minnie.


Next up was lunch with the princesses, but I didn't get pictures of that. It was lovely Norwegian food, but unfortunately, Arin is allergic to almost all seafood. I sadly wasn't aware of this when we made reservations, (its something that happened after she got pregnant) and I think the cross-contamination of the fish on the buffet table made her sick. Whatever happened , poor Arin was out of commission for the rest of the night, not feeling well at all. We made our way back to the resort, where she promptly crawled under the covers and fell asleep.

Arin had told me to go out and finish off the night, and as riveting as it was at the resort. I had heard that the new fireworks show at Hollywood Studios was amazing, so I went to go see it. Symphony in the Stars lived up to the hype! I enjoyed it so much that I dragged Arin back to see it on our last night.



One other thing I was very excited to see at HS was the second-to-last night of the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights. Disney had extended the showing from the Saturday before we came to that next day, and so I went (along with a mass of other people) to see the lights. They were beautiful, and since I was by myself, I was able to wander, and then just sit and enjoy the lights dancing to the music.


And as I left, I took advantage of our day of photopass. Having someone take a picture of just you is pretty awkward.


Over the next few days we had a lot of fun, ate a lot of food, and just enjoyed ourselves. I was still feeling very emotional over my recent miscarriage, and Arin was very sweet and let me be by myself, or extra quiet when I needed to be. She also was quick to hand over tissues and a hand to hold when I needed it. But all in all we just had a blast, and I was grateful to be in my favourite place with one of my favourite people during such a difficult time.


The morning after Arin was sick, I greeted her with fresh coffee (hot chocolate for me!) after posing with this guy. I'm really not sure if he was more interested in the drinks or my hair.


Because nothing says Disney like a giant Chewbacca cupcake!! After about 3 bites, Arin and I agreed we should have shared one, instead of each attempting to eat one. I gave it my best shot, but only managed about 3/4.


Get your kicks on Route 66. Speaking of kicks, I bought these sandals on a whim during our September WDW trip, and they are literally the best flip flops ever. They're what I wear when I feel blisters coming on from all my other shoes.


I have no idea what this guy's job is, but I want it. He was at our resort (which was New Orleans themed) and all he seemed to do was dress up and talk to people. Awesome!


 Our last day, riding the boat between Port Orleans and Disney Springs.


One of the new shops in Disney Springs is all hats! So much fun.


These guys again - I was trying to show off my moves, but I still didn't get an invite to their band.


In the rest room on our way home. I love Orlando airport, right down to their conveniently placed, hardly ever a line bathrooms.

And there you have it! A besties trip that was practically perfect in every way. Arin has informed me that we need to do this every 5 years, and I highly agree. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts