Snow Daze

Some of you might had heard that we got a little bit of snow here in the east recently. I had been happy with our lack of the white stuff so far, but apparently it was too much of a jinx, and Jonas dumped almost two feet on us last weekend.

Two weekend ago, we woke up to some flurries. Meggy took one look, and insisted that she must have her gloves and jacket right away, so she could watch the snow land on her gloves. I'm not sure what movie she got that from, but we spend a good 20 minutes teaching her how to catch snow on her gloves. It was super cute.



We have afternoon church on Sundays (apparently that's what happens when 3 congregations need the same building. I'm not a huge fan of 1:30 church) so Meggy and I went outside a little earlier than we had to leave for church, and she got to catch some snow again.



(How ADORABLE is that cape?! Thank you Aunty Rachel!!)

This snow melted about 3 hours after it landed, and we actually had the sun come out that evening.

The next weekend was not as nice. Meggy and I went out Thursday for our normal Thursday grocery trip, and were met with panic and chaos at the grocery store. We snagged the second to last loaf of bread at Trader Joes, and I was relieved to see the milk had been restocked at Kroger. People of Virginia were not taking any chances.


Meggy and I woke up and preceded though our day as usual Friday. Meggy was starting a cold, so we spent a lot of our morning on the couch, attempting to keep her down and resting (HA!) As we sat there, I was able to watch the snow come over the mountain, hit Monticello, and come straight for us. I watched the clouds start rolling at 9;45 - by 10;30 we were in the midst of a white blur. Thomas got off of work early, and we hunkered down to wait out the storm!

Thankfully for us, we live in a good area in which to wait out a storm. We're right next to a hospital, so the main roads are cleared often. We also live behind a grocery store, so if we had needed to we could have walked to Giant, which I saw many people doing. Thomas was on call that weekend, so he went out periodically to dig out his car - he said he's pretty sure he shoveled approximately a thousand pounds of snow between Friday and Sunday.



One of the first times he went out, Meggy insisted on going with him. I bundled her up, and she set out. Thomas told me that she didn't stay out too long - just long enough to 'help' him wipe the snow off the side of his car. Then he turned on his car engine, and she sat inside, pretending to drive for the next 20min while he dug out his car.



Darcy, Knightly and I enjoyed the warmth of being inside. Well, Knightly and I did. Darcy kept trying to get outside to see what was out there - until he got his tail stuck in a closing door. After that, he decided to enjoy being indoors.


Saturday, Meggy went out again. I also ventured out for a few moments so I could take pictures, and the go right back inside. I see no point in being out in it longer than you have to. You can't tell from the pictures (other than the fact that they're a bit hazy) but it was about 3pm, and so windy and snow blowing so strongly that it made the sky dark.


This snow doesn't look too bad, right? Well, this area had been scraped clear by a snow plow about 4 hours earlier.


Meggy was really excited about making snow angels, until Thomas showed her how they work, and she realized she would have to put her whole self in the snow. She wasn't too keen on it after that.




Yup. Lots 'o snow.

Thankfully, even though Thomas was on call at the hospital, he didn't end up having to go in until Sunday night, after the snow had stopped. We actually spent 3 whole days together as a family without Thomas going to work, which was WONDERFUL! I was sad to see Monday come and life start back to normal. Well, sad until I saw the sun come out.


Snoozing, kicking the cat, and grateful to have her little family all in one place.

I really really hope we don't get this much snow again this year, but at least it made it possible to spend some quality time with my people.

Comments

Popular Posts