Autumn

Fall is here. The leaves are changing, there's a crisp in the air, the birds are migrating southward, and it was freezing this morning when I took Thomas to his carpool.

I'm actually excited for fall. The summer was so darn long, working, planning for the wedding, working some more, trying to find an apartment, working, moving, waiting for the wedding. Never in my life have 3 months seemed to go on for SO incredibly long before! But now fall is here, along with it's annoying habit to mess with my body temperature. I was freezing after dropping Thomas off this morning, so I went home and curled up with a big heavy blanket while wrapped up in my sweater and went to sleep. I woke up two hours later, literally dripping sweat, to find out it's in the mid-70s outside! So all the windows (all 3 of 'em) have been opened, and I am currently out on our balcony writing this, and trying to soak up some sun before it moves to the west side of the building, leaving us in the dark.

I think that I'm suffering from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) early this year, because I'm not getting myself outside enough. Also because I can no longer afford to take vitamin D pills and fish oil. Poor Thomas has been dealing with elevated emotions ever since we got married. (It might also have a little something to do with adjusting to birth control pills, but that's not what this post is about) Mostly depressed ones. I'm in the apartment by myself almost ever day, and I have to force myself to go OUT of it. It's really frusterating actually. I see the outside, especially on a pretty day like today, and I think "Gee Sarah, isn't it pretty outside? Shoudlnt' you go out there, and soak up the sun, and walk around in the grass that we actually have growing around our apartment, unlike the complex across the street?" And then I think "Why do that when I haven't finished season two of I Love Lucy?" I'm telling you, it's horrible.

I've started taking little walks though. We have this teensy little trail by our complex, connecting one part to the other, and sometimes when I'm taking laundry back and forth, I'll walk through it. Sometimes I'll even stop and contemplate nature, through the poisonous mushrooms and mushed beer cans. The walks help. They remind me that I haven't completely moved away from nature, and a reason for living. I'm pretty darn close though. how can people live in NYC? At least in LA you can see mountains, and people have lawns, and (itsy-bitsy) backyards. I don't understand places like New York, Baltimore and Chicago. Even in Boston, I remember seeing a little green. Although it was the summer. I do believe for 3/4ths of the year it's brown.

Anyway, fall is here. I splurged the other day and bought this.

They were both on sale (the wreath and the sign), and I think I managed to buy both for under $8. It adds a little festive look to the dining room, and reminds me a little of home. I actually wanted to get Halloween stuff (now that I'm not in my Mother's house, I've realized that I CAN in fact decorate with vintage Halloween! hahaha!) and I will - I just need more home than I need decorations. Plus, they'll be 50% off AFTER Halloween.

Okay. I need to go make the bed and fold the laundry. Thank you readers (or readeR as the case may be) for listening to my woes. I promise that the next entry will be a little more happy, or at least slightly cheery.

Comments

Popular Posts