July Happenings

We're almost at the end of July already! It's been one hot summer so far, and I have to admit, this is one summer I won't be sad to say goodbye to. I think it's beause I'm pregnant, but I'm really feeling the heat this year, and it is NOT fun. Meggy hasn't seemed to have any issues with the heat however. She's been delighted to do things like fishing, swimming and catching bugs in 85+ degree weather, with high humidity. Oh to be 3 again!


Saba took Meggy fishing for the first time this year! She had a blast (And I think Saba had a lot of fun too, if his pictures are any indication) and even caught a fish! Sadly he jumped off the line before they could reel him in.

Our 4th of July was a memorable one, although not in a way I would have liked. Knightly, our 3 year old kitty, spent the weekend leading up to the 4th throwing up, and becoming increasingly lethargic. I got more and more worried, until I decided just to go to the emergency animal hospital, around 11am Monday morning. As it was the only animal clinic open on the 4th of July, it was a looong wait for him to get seen... then x-rayed... and then diagnosed. After about 2 1/2 hours, the Vet came out and told me that if we wanted Knightly to live, he would need surgery. He had managed to get a thread anchored under his tongue, and caught in his small intestines. Thomas was working that day, so it had been just me at the hospital (While my parents very generously took care of Meggy the entire day.) but I couldn't make that decision alone. Thanks to a wonderful co-worker, Thomas was able to rush over, and we decided to go ahead with the surgery, even though the cost was overwhelming to us. The emergency room vets and assistants were so kind, and did their best to lower costs as much as possible, and at 4:30pm, Thomas and I walked out of there. Then headed to Chili's, as neither one of us had eaten all day, and nothing else is open on the 4th of July. I'm pretty sure it's the only time I've ever eaten out on Independence day!


Don't worry, this story has a happy ending. Knightly's surgery was immensely successful with zero complications. The surgeon (who had to be called in specially!!) also did his best to lower costs for us, while making sure Knightly got the best possible care, and providing us with emotional support. He called us three times between the surgery and when we went to pick Knightly up the next day.


Thomas never had a pet growing up, and after Flynn, Knightly really is his baby. I'm so glad we were able to make the decision we did, because Knightly is so much a part of this family. Also a huge thank-you goes to my grandparents, and their kitty out in California. They all understand how important our fur-babies are, and helped us breathe a little easier by helping with some of the cost of surgery.


Darcy did NOT appreciate his playmate being out of commission for a week and a half. Knightly did NOT appreciate his cone, and often slept like this for the first three days.


Needless to say, our 4th of July did not at all go as planned. So we had our 4th of July dinner on the 5th, and other than the salad having gone bad by that point, it was pretty yummy. Meggy especially enjoyed our watermelon-cucumber juice, and the rice krispies that she helped make.


Thankfully, the rest of July has gone much better!!!! Other than it being hot hot hot, we've had a lot of fun. Meggy is very much into dance right now. She won't let me get any videos, but sometimes I can sneak in a picture or two before she catches me. Also because of the heat, Meggy has been letting me do more things with her hair, something I've been waiting to do for about a year! I don't get to give a whole lot of variety, but so long as I match her hair with a Princess's, I usually can get away with it. Two braids or ponytails are "Ana Hair", from the movie Frozen.


"Mommy, you're the prettiest Mommy ever. Like me. I'm such a pretty princess. A pretty, strong girl, helper princess."
Self esteem: Check.

One fun thing that happened this month is that my best friend Arin came to visit us with her little boy Nigel! Nigel is about 5 months younger than Meggy, and they had a blast playing together. Meggy, being the oldest and the girl was the ringleader, and Nigel was more than happy to follow her into whatever mischief she found. Luckily they're both GREAT kids, and other than a few paint stains, Arin and I were able to leave them to their own devises without having to worry.


 The lake at my parent's house was a HUGE hit. the kids played and played and ate and played some more. Meggy surprised me greatly by becoming a fish, and going out in the water up to her neck! I guess she doesn't like pools, but she certainly is confident at the beach!


Arin and I also took the kids to the splash pad (where she and I met up with an old friend) and again, they were SO good! Meggy chased Nigel around with a bucket, dumping it on his head when she got close enough. Nigel attempted to do it once to her, but after getting the cold shoulder, he decided to stay the dump-ee.


So cute!


I don't know if it's the heat, or the fact that she had a playmate, but this little girl all of a sudden LOVES the water, and had to be dragged away.


In bff news, for the first (and according to Arin, last) time, Arin and I are pregnant at the same time! She's about two months ahead of me, and is due at the end of September. She's having a little girl, and is super-duper excited about it. She sold her house and moved right before coming down to visit, and so we tried to just have a relaxing visit, with lots of ice cream, and sitting under the fan.


These two are the best little playmates. No joking about arranged marriages please (Arin and I would probably kill each other if we were in-laws. Also, Meggy's aunts are still holding out for Prince George) but these two are going to be the best little cousins to each other.



Princess twirls, kitty cats and good friends, that's what July has been for us!


Knightly at his last checkup. As you can tell, he was thrilled to be there.


Comments

Popular Posts