2019 in Review

These were all the rage in high school and college, and now I think they're kinda cheesy. I never even posted last years! But I think someday I might enjoy looking back at these, so I'm going to keep on doing it.


1. What did you do in 2019 that you had never done before?
I went to Disney World three times in one year, two times within three weeks of each other!

Also I made cinnamon rolls. And taught first grade.

2. Did you keep your New Years resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I tried to find a word to inspire me as I went throughout the year... my plan had been to put that word on a necklace and that way I could keep it close and remember.

I never picked a word. Never got a necklace.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Our friends down in Radford had a baby in November! Her name is Nova, and Meggy was tickled that every time she wrote the date, it reminded her of her friend's baby sister.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.

5. What states/countries did you visit?
Just Pennsylvania and Florida, but I got to go to Florida three times!

6. What would you like to have in 2020 that you didn't have in 2019?
This is a pretty big one - I remember feeling so lost when I felt I had to answer this question last year. This upcoming year, I want to find a purpose... a mission statement for myself. I'm really hard on myself, but often times it is because I expect big things of myself without setting realistic expectations. Somehow, I want to work on that. I expect to take the next decade or so to perfect it, since it's taken about a decade to realize this about myself.

7. What date from 2019 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
All the days I got to watch my girls see the magic of Disney World. The very first time Wren saw the fab five, and screamed while reaching out to Goofy (Thomas was holding her, and almost dropped her!) "GOOFY! TOUCH ME GOOFY, TOUCH MY HAND!".
Meggy twirling with Sleeping Beauty in France.
Dancing together while waiting for fireworks in Epcot.
Singing and skipping on our way back to our rooms at night.
I was so so incredibly stressed during both our trips with them, but it was worth it a thousand times over.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
All the times I tried to be a fun Mom and supportive wife. Also supporting myself, and being able to speak out about my wants and needs. I'm still not very good at it, but I've gotten to a point where I can do it every once in a while, which is really really good.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Negative self-talk. I refuse to hear it from my husband or daughters, but I think I've gotten worse with it about myself. Honestly, it's a comforting coping mechanism, which sounds so weird, but it's true. It's just a very damaging coping mechanism.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Ohh gosh, in February I was so so so sick. The winter of 2018/19 was bad for sickness, but in February I got so sick with an ear infection that led to migraines and vertigo! After mastitis, this is the sickest I've ever been, and I never want to go through that again. Mom basically dropped what she was doing for two days to watch the girls, and it also just happened to be the week that Chip and Gail were visiting! I didn't really get to see them, but they also took the girls for two days, and those four days were so helpful in my recovery!!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets. I really don't like having to drive long distances.

Also disney annual passes, duh.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Disney Disney and more Disney.

13. What did you get really, really excited about?
See above answer.

14. What song will remind you of 2019?
Oh gosh, SO MUCH good music this year!!

Sucker, Jonas Brothers

Lover, Taylor Swift

Into the Unknown, Frozen 2

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing.

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Insta scrolling. Except not really, I actually really enjoy it. Maybe mindless Insta scrolling, where I didn't engage with others.

17. How did you spend Christmas?
Home. Thomas was on call, so he got to spend the morning with us, and a little bit of time over lunch, but other than that he was at the hospital which was a bit disappointing. Mom and Dad came over. We really missed Rachel this year, but she was busy working a 14-hour shift in Animal Kingdom.

18. 2019 Word of the year?
See the answer to question 2

BUT ALSO - I re-watched Jane the Virgin this summer, and really fell in love with the phrase "Inhala, exhala." (which I realize is just "inhale, exhale" in english, but something about the spanish was really comforting) It was on my letterboard for like 3 months, and I tried to take a deep breath every time I saw it. I'm thinking maybe I should get a necklace with that on it.

19. What was your favourite TV program?
Hahahaha, I watched so so much tv this year. I'm a huge tv buff, and basically if it's on ABC, NBC, Freeform, CW, Netflix or Disney+, chances are I at least know the plot, if I haven't watched the pilot episode. Or all episodes. And no, I don't know where I get the time to watch these. I don't sleep much.

A Million Little Things
This Is Us
Queer Eye
The Crown
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Thomas and I kinda stopped towards the end of season 2. It's a little out there for us)
The Bold Type
Good Trouble
The Good Place
Roswell
The Fosters
Crazy Ex Girlfriend
The Politician
Stranger Things
Modern Family
Superstore
The Mandelorian
Encore

Rewatched:
Jane the Virgin
Office
Friends
Outlander (Mom doesn't have any of the new seasons! I watch it on her amazon acct)

And these are just the ones I could think of in 5 minutes. I miiiiight have a problem. Or a lost calling as a tv producer.

20. What was the best book you read?
I also read some REALLY good books this year! The top five were

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
I'd Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel
Falling Over Sideways by Jordan Sonnenblick
The Dressmaker's Gift by Fiona Valpy

Honorable mentions:
Illuminae series, which was not at all what I was expecting, and not what I typically read, but I was completely sucked in!
Matchmaking for Beginners by Maddie Dawson
Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield
And all the fairy tale books by K.M. Shea. I think her books are self published, but when I was going through a rough patch, and just needed some good, clean fluffy fairy tales (Not all the above books are suitable for the under-16 crowd) these are so so good.

21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I've been under a rock for the past few years, but the tv show The Politician turned me onto Ben Platt. Also the Jonas brothers got back together this year, which was the best thing ever.

22. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 and told everyone not to do anything for my birthday this year. I really meant it too, and Thomas was swamped at work, so that's what happened. I did go down to PA for Arin's birthday two weeks later. I'll probably go up again when we turn 30, I can't do big parties like that every year.

23. What one thing could have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't know. I think I did as much as I physically and emotionally could this year, and anything from someone else, I can't really control.

24. What kept you sane?
TV shows, apparently!

25. What political issue stirred you the most?
I completely ignored politics this year, since I knew I'd have to start paying attention in 2020, ugh.

26. What was the best movie you saw.
Well, I just had to google 2019 movies, so that's not off to a great start...

I guess it's a cross between Aladdin and Frozen 2? There were a lot of superhero movies this year, but they weren't awesome enough for me to remember, apparently. Star Wars just came out last week, and we're seeing it tomorrow, so maybe that will take the #1 spot?

27. Who was the best new person you met?
Um. I don't meet many people.

28. A valuable life lesson you leaned in 2019?
Time can heal, but also you need to take control of your own healing, because time can only do so much.

29. Areas of growth/ areas of struggle?
Self-advocacy was a big area of growth, and I'm proud of it. Still working on the self-talk. Also being a hands-on Mom... It's something I'd really like to be, but also I don't like playing dress-up or doing crafts. 

30. Pet Peeves?
Right now it's when Meggy whistles, which is all the freaking time.

*I just read through my previously un-published '2018 in review', and I think I'm going to publish it as a contrast to where I was last year, as compared to this year. I've done a lot (A LOT) of mental work over the past year, and I think it really shows, even in something as mundane as a post like this.


Comments

Popular Posts