Summer Days (picture heavy!)

As I said in a previous post, we've had a summer close to home. It's been busy, but a good busy. We've enjoyed playdates, seeing grandmas and aunts, but most of all we have enjoyed just being a family together. Thomas worked like crazy in Arpil, May and the beginning of June, but cut back his schedule for about 5 weeks. I am so grateful he did so - it meant we could go and do things as a family in the evening and weekend. Charlottesville is full of fun stuff to do - so much so that I sometimes get overwhelmed at ALL the things we could be doing!

So far we have been peach picking, shopped in the Farmer's Market, enjoyed restaurant week (Meggy did not join us for that one) participated in library programs and have been to various splash parks, not to mention our own pool. And that's just what we've done in C'ville!


We've had a lot of fun with Beema this summer! Meggy and I talk about how Saba is in Colorado, and it's sad he's not here... but Beema has tried to make up for it. After this trip to Goodwill, Meggy came out with a huge stuffed bunny rabbet.


I can't say enough wonderful things about our pool. There's a full-sized pool, but also this kiddy pool, which is about two feet in the very center. We hang out in this one, and Meggy tries her best to empty all the water out onto the concrete.


We visited Aunties Beka and Ray at the summer camp where they worked. I saw some of my former campers - I started with them in first grade, and now they're the big seventh graders! Time flies by... one of my former campers made a paper crane for Meggy, and she loved it. We had to take it everywhere for two days, and Megs made sure that everyone knew it could fly.


As I said before, Thomas took about 5 consecutive weekends off work, and because of that, we were able to go to the LDS Temple in Maryland with his parents. It was a very special time, and we loved showing the temple grounds to Meggy. She wasn't so much interested in taking pictures as she was looking at all the flowers.


Note to self: this top makes me look pregnant. Note to others: I'm not.




After the Temple, we all went to the DC zoo. Everyone's phones were dying, so I don't have many pictures, but Meggy loved it. The DC zoo is free, which is nice to be able to get in. but they don't have as many close-up exibits as other zoos. I know Meggy would have liked that more, but we still had a great time.


At the elephant exhibit. This and the panda bears were her favourite. She talked about the panda bears for the next three days!


Swimming with Aunty Ray. Have I said yet that we love the pool?!


Meggy and I experimented with making play dough one day. It was awesome, and definitely something we'll do again. I got out the cookie cutters and wooden cooking utensils, and she had the entire kitchen floor at her disposal.


Walking to the grocery store is not something I've done a lot of in this hot weather, but one day we just needed to get out of the house. Imagine my surprise when we found this treasure trove of Queen Anne's Lace on our way! Meggy and I talked about the "pretty plowers" and picked a bunch on our way home. (I was holding a watermelon, this was not an easy thing to do) The flowers were pretty buggy, so we let them adorn our porch table.


Peach picking! We got up early one morning )to beat the heat) and headed to Carter's Mountian to get some yummy peaches and walk around. It was super muggy, but we managed... and eating some peach frozen yogurt also helped.



Meggy's aunties took her to Build a Bear. They asked her what kind of animal she wanted - thinking she'd go with a cute bear, dog or bunny. She wanted a dinosaur. Not to be outdone, Rachel and Beka slapped on a tutu, and named her Veronica.


At the splash park - even though it was 87 degrees outside all she wanted to do was swing. For 30 minutes. Then when I bundled her into the car (because I was sweating like a pig), she cried because she wanted to go into the water.


I'm such a mean mom.


We have been enjoying the library so much this summer! The library nearest to our Kroger has a drive through window - it's so awesome. I put books on hold, go grocery shopping, and just pick up my books on our way home.


 Aunty Ray is a cool babysitter. We're soaking up as much time with her as possible before she goes down to Florida in September.


Speaking of Florida - I made another princess dress! We're getting so excited for our trip to Disney world... two more months from today!


Enjoying beach time at the lake. We went with Beema and Aunty Ray, and had a blast... even if Meggy didn't want to go into the water at all.


Cuddling and coloring. With glasses.



Meggy and Daddy wearing their matching Brazil shirts to the Farmer's market. I was too laden down with bags to take a picture at the market, but here they are by the library.


Sorry General Lee sir, I didn't mean to cut off your head!


Meggy has been very interested in being helpful lately - every time we go to the grocery store I hear "I hewp you Mom? Hewp you?" I cringe when she throws cans into the cart, but I love her big heart, and I'm so grateful that, so long as she's 'helping', she's not throwing tantrums. Usually.

One of the reasons I love Kroger (there are many) is the fun music they play in the store. YOu never know what you're going to hear - from James Bond themes to the Andrews Sisters to Cindi Lauper. As we were shopping yesterday, all of a sudden Meggy stopped and said "Daddy hear, song Daddy! Daddy song!" We stopped and listened... they were playing the theme to Hawaii 5-0. Apparently she has heard it enough times (Thomas watches the re-boot on netflix) that in a noisy grocery store, she was able to pick it out! I was so proud of her - we can't wait to start her on piano lessons!!!


Taken today - Meggy is all about the sunglasses lately. It's super cute, and made for quite the enterance to chuch today. 

So that's been our summer so far! Thomas started call again this weekend (and I remembered why I HATE it, as we dragged outselves to church this morning. Thomas slept for about 3 hours last night, and 4 hours the night before) and he'll be on call every weekend until we go to Florida in September. But we have been grateful for the time we had these past weeks, and all the fun we had together!

Comments

Popular Posts