Birthday party!

When your child turns one what do you do? You have a party. And even though you know the kid will never remember it, nor will they really appreciate all the attention being directed towards them, and probably have a meltdown sometime in the day - you do it because you, the parent want to celebrate. For a whole year, you have managed to take care of a mini human with little to no sleep, eating only applesauce and string cheese. It's called a first 'birthday' party, but everyone is really there to celebrate what the parents have accomplished: not having a nervous breakdown. 

It's totally unfair the the kid is the one to get the presents. 

Meggy birthday party was on a beautiful Saturday morning. Unfortunately, we managed to schedule it at the same time as a baby shower (of someone we don't know, but everyone at our church seemed to) and a move. (We did know them.) Not many people showed up to the party, but Meggy enjoyed having her closest friend there, as well as Thomas' parents. 

Chilling with Pawpaw while we finished getting the decorations ready.

Since this was the first birthday of my child, it was of course, Minnie Mouse themed. I made mouse ears for everyone, and they were able to decorate them with stickers and 'jewels'. We also had a cookie decorating station, which was the biggest hit! We ended up only having two other kids besides Meggy, but they both loved spreading the icing and choosing the sprinkles. And since it was just the three of them, they got to decorate as many cookies as they wanted! A birthday only comes around once a year, and I know Margaret wouldn't eat the cake, so I let her go to town on the frosting for the cookies. 




Meggy was adamant that she spread the frosting on all by herself. And then she went on to 'help' aunt Victoria and Pawpaw. 



This is when I caught her double dipping with her frosting spreader. I didn't stop her, I just kept taking pictures... Would YOU have done any differently?!


Meggy didn't quite know what to do with her cake. She's not a big fan of cake, this little one prefers ice cream. She did enjoy everyone singing to her, but we had issues as to what to do about the candle. I ended up blowing it out. 



A cake smash was attempted. As I said, Meggy doesn't really like cake. She liked frosting (at lest when it's on cookies) and she likes ice cream, but for some reason cake does not intrigue her. I decided she needed a little encouragement. 


The kid wasn't having it. 



It was at this point that Gail called out to Meggy to eat the frosting. Margaret decided to be generous, and try to hand Grandma the frosting instead of eating it herself. 


A fun time was had by all, even if Meggy did scream right after this picture was taken. It seems as though she likes cake being cleaned off of her body even less than she likes cake itself.


After she calmed down, she found a spoon and a quiet corner, and started dancing to herself. Meggy sure has her own personality, and I love it so much. Instead of having a screaming meltdown (which honestly,I was expecting all day) my child uses a spoon as a dancing partner. She's seriously the best. 




Presents were awesome. Meggy got adorable clothes, a klip-klop princess castle, and a piano. Who am I kidding - I said at the beginning of the post that the kid is the one to get the present. What I didn't say is that Thomas and I have played with them just as much as Meggy. I can't fit into the clothes (but if I could, oh my goodness would I have a new favourite dress!) but I have figured out how to play three songs on the piano, and Thomas and I had princess horse races last night. Rapunzel won - Sleeping Beauty is a slowpoke. 




There were some cute moments with Pawpaw at the end. I didn't catch her smiling face, but I did get some sweet photos. 


Thomas helped with the amazing decorations. I've never thrown a party before, and I was pretty impressed with myself. But even more impressed with my husband, because he made my vision come true. He's the best guy I know, and I'm so lucky to get to parent with him!!!



 There we have it! I guarantee that number two will not be nearly as extravagant, but will probably have the exact same people. They made this party a blast, and that's all I could ask for. 




Comments

Popular Posts