California trip, 2018

After promising to blog more often, I've left you in the lurch for the past few weeks! I do have a good excuse however, I was on a trip, with only my one year old.

Traveling with one kid is infinitely easier than traveling with two, that's a fact. Traveling with each age has it's challenges, and being sole parent for any number of children is hard. Hats off to single parents who do this every. Dang. Day. I have no idea how they stay sane. I managed to stay sane with my one year old because - as most one year olds - she cannot talk back to me yet. In fact, she can only say about 15 words at all, and therefore I was able to put up with the stubborn clingy-ness that comes from traveling to a different place and time zone.




We were in California for my Papa's memorial service. He had passed away right before Christmas, and to make sure everyone who wanted to be could be there, the service was held at the end of January.

The service was very touching and meaningful. My uncle put together a multi-media eulogy which was really fun to watch, about Papa's growing-up days, his career, and his family. Both my Mom and Rachel gave really good talks, as well as my cousin Allie. I was there in case anyone floundered, or couldn't make it through something, but everyone did so well, and the whole thing went off without a hitch.


Sunday we had a lovely little time with all the family who had come in town. We ate yummy food, shared stories, and my younger cousins even put on an impromptu performance of The Wizard of Oz! It was so fun, and of course we got a family picture, below is my outtake of the "funny" picture. (I was taking a selfie in the funny one)


I was able to stay out in CA for a little over a week, which was wonderful. I got to have lots of nice talks with my Grandmother, as well as seeing lots of family I hadn't seen in a while!


We went through lots of things from my Papa's office, and one thing we found was Nana's baby book! It was so fun seeing old pictures and report cards and letters from her Dad.



Of course we went walking in Descanco Gardens with Nana. Nana and Wren both loved the ducks.


Poor Tux wasn't sure about having his home run over by a toddler. By our last night however he felt secure enough to let me take a few pictures of him, as proof that he'd come within two feet of me.


Wren missed her sister and Daddy, but also had a blast being everyone's center of attention! She loved playing with her cousins - especially Christopher - and it was hers and my goal to make Nana laugh every day. I'm happy to say we more than succeeded!



I'm so glad I took the opportunity to stay as long in California as I did. I am also very grateful to Thomas and Meggy (and everyone who also took care of Meggy) for giving me the freedom to take this time. I love my family, every little part of it!







Comments

Popular Posts