On Being a Young Parent



Las week we went grocery shopping on senior discount day. I try not to shop those days, just because I feel like my toddler is bothersome to the over 50 crowd. We always get frustrated looks, and Meggy usually runs into someone's cart because she absolutely refuses to sit in ours. Its not much fun for anyone - but we NEEDED groceries for our empty fridge, so Meggy and I braved Kroger.

In an attempt to fend off any temper tantrums, I was having Margret help me by opening freezer doors, and putting things in our cart. As we lingered in the freezer section ("Now Mama needs peas, can you help me find the peas?") an older lady turned the corner, saw us, and turned back the way she came. I assumed the sight of a toddler opening freezer doors made her frustrated that she couldn't get to the groceries she wanted. As I had Meggy open the next door so I could get some broccoli, that same lady came back around the corner. She came up to me and said "I just wanted to let you know how wonderful it is to see you interacting with your child. She is beautiful, and you are doing a GREAT job as a parent."

I managed to get out a "Thank you!" before she gave me a smile, and headed towards the ice cream. Of course, THEN Meggy started throwing a fit because I wouldn't let her open any more freezer doors.

On our way out of the store, Margaret and I got more of 'those' looks. The ones that said 'Why isn't her child sitting in the cart?' and 'is she REALLY going to try and squeeze by me with that kid?!' And my favorite 'I can't believe she is on her phone while grocery shopping with her child!' (FYI, even though I talk to Margaret THE WHOLE TIME, I've actually shown people how my shopping list is on my phone)

It got me thinking.

I am a young parent, and I can see people judging me all the time because of it. I know I have faults and not much experience, but I try to be the best parent I can. Hopefully Margaret will be an example for my (and my husband's) parenting in the future, but for now, it is SO nice to hear that I'm doing something right!

If you see someone exhibiting good parenting - or even just OK parenting - please commend them on it! Parenting can often be a lonely business, especially in today's society. The village that helped in the past is no longer there for many of us - Google replaced it. Especially for those of us who defy society's norms to have children early. We don't have many peers to turn to, which is why it's so refreshing to hear from someone that they appreciate and validate your parenting. 

I wish I had been able to give that lady a more sincere thank you. Part of me wanted to give her a hug, but Meggy was slamming the freezer door into our cart. :) Please, when you see something thwt warms your heart, don't pass it by. You never know what your kind words might do to someone. Turn back around that corner and make someone's day. 


Comments

Popular Posts