Changing a diaper in Wal-Mart

Ok, its not about the new house, but I wanted to share this before my new-mommy brain forgot about it. Again.

Last week I had the wonderful opportunity to try out a changing station in a public restroom for the very first time. Dad had volunteered to drive Meggy and myself to and from C'ville, and because of construction on the major highway, we went home the back way. Dad's back way. Which meant we left at 5:20 in the afternoon and by 7:30 we were still on the road, and the baby was tired, hungry, and smelly.

Now before you judge me for taking my 3 week old into a Walmart, let me explain that my other choices weren't exactly stellar - it was a choice between Exxon, Arby's, Walmart or McDonald's. I picked the lesser of all evils. 

Have I mentioned that it was raining cats and dogs that night? We parked as close to the doors as we could, and Dad got Mom's umbrella out of the back of the car. As he rounded the car over to Meg's and my side, a huge gust of wind blew it inside out, and he arrived at my door with half an umbrella. So we threw a blanket over the baby and dashed for the doors! 

Once inside (soaked through all my layers) Dad went off to buy Mom a new umbrella, and I headed for the restrooms behind the registers. As I got to them, I saw a sign that said "family restroom in the back". Sometimes, (if you're lucky) there are chairs in family restrooms, and I figured it couldn't hurt to see if there was one, so I could nurse in there. I carted the baby in her seat all the way to the back of the store, dodging a lady on crutches, and a kid in a wheelchair, which I do not think he needed. When I got to the back, I saw the family restroom next to the staff's lady's room. I tried the door - it was locked. I tried the handle again, and knocked. I didn't hear anything, so I looked around for an employee, but nobody was in the immediate vicinity. Meggy was getting really fussy, so I just went into the lady's room.

Well, I should have just stayed up front. The bathroom was pretty clean, thank goodness, but the changing station was broken! It was tilted forward; when I put my package of wipes on it, it slid right off. After looking around, I saw there was another changing station in the handicap stall. The curious thing was that it was about one and a half feet high. I have absolutely no idea why on earth anyone would install a changing station that low, it was too low for even someone in a wheelchair! I would have had to change her sitting on the floor, and even though the bathroom looked relatively clean, there are some things that I just will not do. 

Margaret was screaming by this point. 

Necessity is the mother of invention, and this experience was no exception. I managed to jimmy my thigh underneath the changing table, and even it out. By the time I got the hysterical baby on the changing table, 3 employees had come into the bathroom, and were chatting as they examined their makeup at the mirrors. Why they couldn't have been there 4 minutes earlier is beyond me, but one of them tried to hold a conversation with me as I attempted to change Meggy's diaper, trying to balance her on the table, holding it up with my thigh, praying that she wouldn't fall off, and that my thigh wouldn't give out.
Here's a tip for someone I that situation; please do not try to hold a conversation with the mother of a screaming baby. Even if the baby is cute and tiny, and your cousin just had a baby two weeks before who was just as tiny and cute. Unless you are volunteering to wipe a poopy bottom, keep your comments short, or even better, to yourself. 

One diaper and about 10 wipes later, I put Margaret back into her carrier as I washed my hands. Now, I've said how wonderful a baby Meggy is, but all babies have their flaws. Meggy's is that she absolutely hates having her diaper changed. She was already tired, very hungry, and just plain upset. Me putting her in her carrier was the last straw. She screamed at the top of her little lungs as I lugged her out of the restroom. Feeling awful, I picked her up, and she immediately calmed down, whimpering against my neck. So I carried her with one arm, and the baby carrier with the other arm, as I tried to call my father to let him know I was heading out to the car to feed the baby. When I got to the front of the store,fit was still raining, and I did not relish trying to get the still hungry baby out to the car, only to feed her in that cramped little space. There was a subway in the Walmart, and I quickly scoped out eh situation. I decided that the little table in the back corner was just inconspicuous enough to slide into, and I did so. Between my nursing cover and my (still soaking) jacket, I was able to cover up enough to be able to feed Meggy. She was very happy and ate quite vigorously! Dad finally came over with the new umbrella, telling me about all the cool umbrellas he had found. He was very sweet, and bought me cookies and a drink, after I had relayed to him my changing station issues. 

Thankfully Margaret was so exhausted from her screaming, she fell asleep right after she ate, and was pretty quiet for most of the ride home. I was also exhausted, and was SO HAPPY to see our house. I'm sure we'll have our share of adventures in the future, but I'm going to try and stay out of Walmart restrooms for a while. 


Comments

Popular Posts