Never Forget


Today, I am appreciating this moment with my cranky, silly, snotty little girl. 

13 years ago, my 10 year old self realized that the world was a lot bigger and darker than I had thought. I remember being told by my mom to keep the kids (we were visiting a friend in Pennsylvania for a few days) upstairs playing games and watching movies, while the adults were downstairs watching something important on the news. I remember my dad taking me out on the front porch, on a very beautiful, very quiet night and telling me what had happened. I remember driving over the Tappan Zee bridge a few days after 9/11 and looking over at the city. Everything seemed so eerie and quiet, ash still in the air. It frightened me. Even though I didn't personally know anyone affected by the tragedy, I was so scared, knowing how many families had been ripped apart by terrible people. 

Now, here I am watching a Disney movie and feeding yogurt to a sick toddler. The scaryness of that day has faded in my mind, left with only sadness and confusion. I look at my daughter, and wonder what sort of world she will know. When she is older, I don't know how I will explain this horrible tragedy to her, but I do know that I will tell her to treasure each moment with her loved ones, no matter how small - and how blessed we are to live in this wonderful country of ours. #neverforget


Comments

Popular Posts